Moderator: State of San Andreas Leadership

City of Los Santos

Candidate and Initiative Handbook

Fri May 04, 2018 9:05 pm

CANDIDATE & INITIATIVE HANDBOOK

LOS SANTOS CITY ELECTIONS
[+] ELECTION CALENDAR
JANUARY 1, SUNDAY
  • Term begins for Mayor and City Council.
FEBRUARY 24, FRIDAY
  • Residence deadline.
MARCH 24, FRIDAY
  • First day to file Declaration of Intention to Become a Candidate.
MARCH 28, TUESDAY
  • First day to obtain Nominating Petitions. First day to file Nominating Petitions.
MARCH 31, FRIDAY
  • Last day to file Declaration of Intention to Become a Candidate or to withdraw said petition.
APRIL 2, SUNDAY
  • Last day to obtain Nominating Petitions. Last day to file Nominating Petitions.
APRIL 5, WEDNESDAY
  • Last day to withdraw candidacy.
APRIL 7, FRIDAY
  • PRIMARY NOMINATING ELECTION
APRIL 9, SUNDAY
  • Last day for official canvass and certification of results for Primary Nominating Election.
APRIL 21, FRIDAY
  • GENERAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION
APRIL 23, SUNDAY
  • Last day for official canvass and certification of results for General Municipal Election.
MAY 1, MONDAY
JUNE 21, WEDNESDAY
  • Residence deadline.
JULY 21, FRIDAY
JULY 25, TUESDAY
  • First day to obtain Nominating Petitions. First day to file Nominating Petitions.
JULY 28, FRIDAY
  • Last day to file Declaration of Intention to Become a Candidate or to withdraw said petition.
JULY 30, SUNDAY
  • Last day to obtain Nominating Petitions. Last day to file Nominating Petitions.
AUGUST 2, WEDNESDAY
AUGUST 4, FRIDAY
AUGUST 6, SUNDAY
  • Last day for official canvass and certification of results for Primary Nominating Election.
AUGUST 18, FRIDAY
AUGUST 20, SUNDAY
  • Last day for official canvass and certification of results for General Municipal Election.
SEPTEMBER 1, FRIDAY
OCTOBER 17, TUESDAY
  • Residence deadline.
NOVEMBER 17, FRIDAY
NOVEMBER 21, TUESDAY
NOVEMBER 24, FRIDAY
NOVEMBER 26, SUNDAY
NOVEMBER 29, WEDNESDAY
DECEMBER 1, FRIDAY
DECEMBER 3, SUNDAY
DECEMBER 15, FRIDAY
DECEMBER 17, SUNDAY
QUALIFICATIONS
In order to run for office, you must be a resident of the City of Los Santos, or a resident of the Council District in which you are running if running for City Council, for at least one month prior to the first day a Declaration of Intention to Become a Candidate can be submitted.

DECLARATION OF INTENTION
The first official step in running for office is to complete a Declaration of Intention to Become a Candidate form, which is furnished by the City Clerk. Declarations must be filed with the City Clerk between the dates stated in the Election Calendar.
[+] DECLARATION OF INTENTION
Post as a new topic in this section with the title: "Name - Office"

Code: Select all

[center][b]CITY OF LOS SANTOS
DECLARATION OF INTENTION TO BECOME A CANDIDATE[/b][/center]
I, [u][insert name][/u], do hereby declare myself as a candidate for election to the office of for [u][insert office][/u]. I have been a resident of the City of Los Santos for at least one month. If I am running for the office of City Council, I have been a resident of the Council District for which I am running. If elected, I will qualify and accept the office of [u][insert office][/u] and serve to the best of my ability. I request my name be placed on the official ballot of the city. My current address is [u][insert address][/u].

I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the State of San Andreas that the foregoing is true and correct.

Executed on [u][insert date][/u].

[u][insert name][/u]
(Name of Candidate)

[u](signature)[/u]
(Signature of Candidate)
WITHDRAWING DECLARATION OF INTENTION
You may withdraw your Declaration of Intention to Become a Candidate no later than the final date to file a Declaration. The request shall be made in writing to the City Clerk and attached to the Declaration.

NOMINATING PETITIONS
The second official step in running for office is to obtain and file a Nominating Petition. Petitions are issued and must be filed within the dates stated in the Election Calendar.

WITHDRAWING NOMINATION
You may withdraw your nomination no later than three days after the last day to file a Nominating Petition.

SIGNATURES
If running for Mayor, you must obtain no less than 50 signatures on the petition from residents of the City of Los Santos. If running for City Council, you must obtain no less than 30 signatures on the petition from residents of the Council District in which you are running.

INITIATIVE
At any time, you can propose an ordinance to be adopted by the City Council or put to a vote of electors in the city. A petition to propose an ordinance must be signed by a number of residents of the city equal to 15% of the total number of votes cast for all candidates for the office of mayor at the last election.
[+] INITIATIVE
Post as a new topic in this section with the title: "Initiative - Title"

[align=center][size=150]INITIATIVE MEASURE TO BE SUBMITTED
DIRECTLY TO THE VOTERS[/size]

Proponent(s): [insert name], [insert name][/align]
[size=125][INSERT PETITION TITLE][/size]

[Insert petition summary]

[center]TEXT OF THE PROPOSED MEASURE:[/center]
[Insert text of the proposed ordinance]
RECALL
After three weeks of an elected official taking office and before six weeks of an election for that office, you can request the removal of an elected official to be put to a vote of electors in the city. A recall petition must be signed by a number of residents of the city, or of the Council District if the person being recalled if a Council Member, equal to at least 25% of the total number of votes cast for all candidates for the office of the person being recalled.
[+] RECALL
Post as a new topic in this section with the title: "Recall - Title and Name of Officer"

[center][size=150]PETITION TO RECALL
[INSERT TITLE AND NAME OF OFFICER][/size]

Proponent(s): [insert name], [insert name]

STATEMENT OF REASONS FOR PROPOSED RECALL:[/center]
[Insert 300-word maximum statement of reasons]

Return to “Elections”