Rule Discussion & Questions

Find the server's rules and regulations here. Ensure that you stay up to date with the rules before entering the server.
damaz
Management

Rule Discussion & Questions

Sun May 20, 2018 1:34 pm

Please use this topic to discuss and ask questions about our current rules.
Trexore

Re: Rule Discussion & Questions

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:49 am

Can we combine all the rules in one thread instead of having them in different threads?
damaz
Management

Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:15 pm

Trexore wrote:
Can we combine all the rules in one thread instead of having them in different threads?
Sure, we could do that. The idea of posting different topics was to make it easy to read up on a specific rule. If you are looking to get more knowledge on for example 'power gaming' then it's easier to find it rather than having to scroll through all rules.
Trexore

Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:19 pm

damaz wrote:
Trexore wrote:
Sure, we could do that. The idea of posting different topics was to make it easy to read up on a specific rule. If you are looking to get more knowledge on for example 'power gaming' then it's easier to find it rather than having to scroll through all rules.
I understand but that's why we have Ctrl + F :)
krille120

Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:58 am

Trexore wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:19 pm
damaz wrote:
Trexore wrote:
I understand but that's why we have Ctrl + F :)
We could draft a compiled topic with all rules and keep as a sticky in this section and have the seperate ones available still? :)
Daabas

Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:50 pm

krille120 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:58 am

We could draft a compiled topic with all rules and keep as a sticky in this section and have the seperate ones available still? :)
That could work.
Curly The Infamous

Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:07 pm

Small list of rule suggestions:
Staying IC at all times needs to be a rule.
At absolutely no point in time should anything OOC interfere with in character endeavors. So when someone goes ahead and DM's for the sake of DMing, they can be hit with a breach of two rules. No using /b in passive or aggressive situations. /blockallPMs should be a free feature for everyone who seriously doesn't want to see a single line of OOC. We have to be sticklers about it.

Common Courtesy is a rule that needs to be more defined.
All to often in communities like these, people talk shit to each other, I've always been one of those people that talk too much shit, but there should be some sort of line in the sand when dealing with folks like me,. If arguing OOCly violates common courtesy, be it on discord, forums, or ESPECIALLY in game on PM or /b, we need to know when one or BOTH parties violated. So here's a small example. Player A, mouths off to player B, in a PM. Player B decides not to respond and reports it instead, that should be a breach of courtesy for player A. In another setting, player A, mouths off to player B, player B responds with something slick, non factual, or generally just argumentative as well, and player B reports player A, the report should be thrown out. Nobody in particular should be punished or warned, just disregarded and ignored. Like a "forget it and get on with your life" type of deal. Pretty sure we're all expected to be mature to some fault, especially when things are obviously a little hairy and prone to OOC drama.

There should be a section for players who disagree with certain judgements by admins to appeal their punishments. An appeals sections, separate from ban appeals, will give players an opportunity to provide proof of why their punishment, be it an ajail, a warning on their record or otherwise don't belong. Very often, a roleplay situation can be misinterpreted and certain truths or facts behind a roleplay situation wind up getting overlooked. A lot of times admins scan through reports because it's usually always cluttered with litigious bullshit and no proof, they wind up missing the important parts of the report that matter dearly to the roleplay. People do however need to learn how to understand what needs to be said and what doesn't. Players who are still learning how to be better roleplayers should be given leeway. Noobs should absolutely be given a chance, but they'd have to first admit or prove beyond the admin's suspicion that they're not malicious players/rulebreakers.

I say all injuries MUST be roleplayed. Like even if you're roleplaying that your character is macho man randy savage, you should at least acknowledge when someone attacks. Punches, stabs, GSW's all need to be roleplayed as best as you can. It should be against the rules not to acknowledge injuries. Like if you just got shot, it should be against the rules to run halfway across the neighborhood, let alone the city as a whole.

A bunch of questions on standards and behavior, in general:

I just need these questions answered by any staff member, preferably one of the higher ups who already have a set vision on how this server is going to turn out.

1. Does this server respect objectivity or subjectivity?
2. Do you put transparency as the PRIME priority of this server?
3. Should admins be held to the same behavioral standard as players?
4. If I, a player, call a staff member corrupt, without being able to articulate or prove why, does it make it so?
5. If an admin tells a player he has a bad attitude, but can't articulate or prove how, does it make it so?
6. If an admin tells me, the player, I have a bad attitude, without explaining why, am I in the wrong for not entertaining that negative subjectivity?
7. Should we punish admins who behave poorly, especially by their own standard?
8. Should players be allowed to make requests in group form? (As in, come together as a community and make requests for a change?)
9. Should IC and OOC ever mix AT ALL?
10. Does a ban (An OOC issue) take in character effect? (An easier way to word this would be, if a person gets banned, should it change the roleplay AT ALL?)

I'd like just yes and no's.
Golden

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:17 am

A lot of these questions don't seem very thought out to be honest and hard to give yes/no answers to... I need context
[+] Answers
1. Does this server respect objectivity or subjectivity?
This can mean many different things; elaborate?
2. Do you put transparency as the PRIME priority of this server?
We remain transparent in what we're doing but obviously the main focus here is making a well structured and resilient roleplaying server. Depends on the context here though, as a developer I'm not going to make the script transparent too and just release it. If something effects the players, then they'll know about it
3. Should admins be held to the same behavioral standard as players?
Staff are role models, so better
4. If I, a player, call a staff member corrupt, without being able to articulate or prove why, does it make it so?
No
5. If an admin tells a player he has a bad attitude, but can't articulate or prove how, does it make it so?
Depends on the context, if you're screaming at an administrator because you didn't get what you want while people are trying to have a discussion, then listen to them and stop
6. If an admin tells me, the player, I have a bad attitude, without explaining why, am I in the wrong for not entertaining that negative subjectivity?
Same as above
7. Should we punish admins who behave poorly, especially by their own standard?
Staff members must follow the rules too, obviously
8. Should players be allowed to make requests in group form? (As in, come together as a community and make requests for a change?)
Go ahead
9. Should IC and OOC ever mix AT ALL?
IC is IC and OOC is OOC, administrators obviously can change the course if rules are being broken
10. Does a ban (An OOC issue) take in character effect? (An easier way to word this would be, if a person gets banned, should it change the roleplay AT ALL?)
Generally no but this depends on the context
Curly The Infamous

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:37 am

Hey, Golden, thanks for responding, sure I'll elaborate a little more.

1. Does this server respect objectivity or subjectivity? - In other words, when we look at situations, like say player reports, faction shut downs, player and staff interactions, will the admins be looking at it from an objective non biased point of view, or more of a subjective, biased to the content and content poster point of view? So generally, do we look at things from an objective or a subjective point of view. Sorry the wordding confused you.

2. Do you put transparency as the PRIME priority of this server? - You answered this, I didn't hate that answer. I think I was asking if transparency is something the admins and the players should all be taking very serious. Like, hiding things- how tolerated would it be? Hopefully not at all.

3. Should admins be held to the same behavioral standard as players? - You answered this too, good answer. I like it.

4. If I, a player, call a staff member corrupt, without being able to articulate or prove why, does it make it so? - You answered no, another good, answer, straight and to the point. (Certainly the answer I expected.)

5. If an admin tells a player he has a bad attitude, but can't articulate or prove how, does it make it so? - I'm iffy about this answer, let me explain briefly why, without sounding like I'm attacking you or this server. If a player can't make silly claims, such as the ones mentioned above, to an admin, an admin shouldn't be able to make the same claims about a player with a lack of proof. Otherwise, the admins are NOT held to the same behavioral standards as mentioned in question 3. In other words, they'd get a little more leeway, almost like their word counts more than a player's. I've had horrible experiences in communities because admins condescend and convolute the reality of a situation despite the proof, and it all winds up out of favor for myself, the player. Which it doesn't have to be me, it could be anyone. I was expecting the same answer as above, a FLAT NO.

6. If an admin tells me, the player, I have a bad attitude, without explaining why, am I in the wrong for not entertaining that negative subjectivity? - If it's the same answer as above, again, I'm iffy on that. But thank you for the answer and being honest and transparent. I would suggest being more lenient with players who are subjectively deemed "toxic" or "unfit for the server" (typical rhetoric used to demonize players, especially by admins, but also by each other). Because when someone calls another person toxic, publicly, they're creating a stigma that no roleplayer should ever have to deal with. If someone says a person is toxic, they should come bearing proof.

7. Should we punish admins who behave poorly, especially by their own standard? - Good answer. So we can expect them to be punished the same way a player would, should they get caught up breaking any rule a player would initially be punished for, right?

8. Should players be allowed to make requests in group form? (As in, come together as a community and make requests for a change?) - Good answer.

9. Should IC and OOC ever mix AT ALL? - You make a good point, yes a ban or an admin punishment can prevent a person from getting in game and getting in character, but for example- would banning the leader of a faction be just cause to shut a faction down? That'd be mixing IC and OOC wouldn't it?

10. Does a ban (An OOC issue) take in character effect? (An easier way to word this would be, if a person gets banned, should it change the roleplay AT ALL?)- So if your answer is generally no, but it depends on the context, you don't mean that factions can be shut down for the attitude of one player, right? That'd be extremely reminiscent of other communities and I think if we care about progress and being in our own league, we should see to it that bans, OOC issues, do NOT take in character affects. Am I saying don't ban rulebreakers? ABSOLUTELY NOT. Just don't punish the people around them for their rulebreakings. You know?

Hope I made things a little more clear.
Golden

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:54 am

Curly The Infamous wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:37 am
Hey, Golden, thanks for responding, sure I'll elaborate a little more.
1. Yes
2. Depends, privacy etc will be maintained, but transparency regarding the server in general, yes
3. Yes
4. No
5. It doesn't make it "so" but if a player is breaking the rules, the administrator doesn't need proof if they were there, that's just how it must be. Administrators need trust from the players but also won't last if they're corrupt but I felt like that was common sense
6. Same story above here, really
7. Yes but realize contexts
8. Yes
9. An admin won't ban someone just to shut their faction down but if they are banned for what-ever reason, the faction members need to work with faction management to decide who gets the leadership & thread. If the guy isn't there and no one wants to lead the faction, it can't be "NPC'd" or we can't unban him just so he can run his faction again
10. Same as above

Return to “Rules”